Pulseaudio(?) vs. Flash vs. Amarok

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Mon Dec 15 17:40:18 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 10:27 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > If you start Firefox to play a Flash URL, Amarok is silent, till you
> > kill Firefox and Amarok, and restart Amarok.  Similarly, if you start
> > Amarok, Firefox/Flash will be silent till Amarok is killed and Firefox
> > is restarted.  I thought Pulseaudio was supposed to provide multiplex
> > capabilities for Linux -- apparently not.
>
> You're probably missing alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i386.

Kevin is correct.  Installing alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i386 in addition
to alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.x86_64 fixes the problem.

I'm running the i386 version of Firefox on an x86_64 system (Flash is
*much* more reliable).  Apparently Flash uses pulseaudio if it can find
a suitable library, but if not it grabs the audio system directly.

jon