Rhythmbox and daap

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Dec 16 14:08:28 UTC 2008

I still use iTunes to sync my iPod and though the music files are on a
shared server and I can access them in virtually every conceivable way,
I wouldn't mind using the sharing feature from iTunes itself so my plays
on Linux are actually tallied in iTunes.

I discovered Rhythmbox has the ability to connect to shared iTunes (it's
called daap) so I enabled sharing on my Windows iTunes and sure enough,
Rhythmbox sees the shared server on my network but even though at the
bottom of the window in sort a status bar kind of way, it says
'Retrieving songs from music share' - even after leaving it on all
night, it has yet to get a single song and I don't have any security
implemented to block it.

Am I missing something really basic?

Craig