1-second kernel

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Dec 16 20:47:58 UTC 2008

Konstantin Svist wrote:
> There was a 5-second Linux entry a while back, and it was mentioned that
> 2.6.27 should boot in 1 second (with .5-second boot coming in 2.6.28)
> I'm not seeing it on the F10 install (updated to latest release version).
> I'm guessing that's because of initrd (I heard that it must be turned
> off for 1-second kernel to work).
>
> Is there (or are there plans for) a maintained version of 1-second
> kernel for Fedora?

Fedora is currently not targeted to embedded dedicated applications. I doubt
that you will see a practical five second boot on server or workstation
commercial hardware any time soon. By practical here I mean something that
doesn't need to be tuned to each machine and/or assume anything on the network
(DNS or DHCP servers) will respond instantly.

The way some tests count "boot time" starts with a machine up and running at the
boot manager, ignoring real world stuff like disk spinup, etc, it tests a
portion of the delay from power on to ready to use.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>