Mono laser suitability in Fedora

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Dec 17 02:53:27 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 02:31:26AM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Mike Cloaked wrote:
> > I was looking at the Samsung ML-1630W printer - as a relatively cheap
> > laser printer for the home.
>
> This looks relatively good:
> http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Samsung-ML-1630
> though it only says 1630, not 1630W (hopefully it'll also work well with the
> 1630W). But AFAIK the driver is currently not in Fedora or RPM Fusion, and
> it says this:
> "This driver contains algorithms which are (possibly) patented (See license
> text)."
> (it uses JBIG compression). The patented code is not necessary for the
> ML-1630 (but it is for others), so it could be built without. But still, it
> is not packaged yet AFAIK.
>
> I think you'd be better off with a PostScript printer or with a HP model
> supported by HPLIP
> (http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/laserjet.html -
> also check that it says "No" under "Driver Plug-in", the plug-in is
> non-Free and not shipped in Fedora), those just work.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Just one more point of info:
I've got a Brother HL2070N that works without a hitch on every Linux
I've tried it on, without having to install any drivers. I've driven it
from Centos 5, Asus/Xandros on eeepc, an old Fedora (FC4 I think) that
we keep here to run Gnucash on, and now F10. It "just works". I've used
it as a USB printer on Centos 4/5 but it is now hardwired to the LAN.
That model is discontinued, however, replaced with HL2170W which I haven't
tried.

    community.
 --Roger Ebert, December, 1996