FC10 does not boot when HDD moved to another machine

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Wed Dec 17 08:54:22 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> Frank Millman wrote:
> > The HDD is a standard IDE drive with a standard IDE
> connector on the motherboard.
> >
> I can not help with the original problem, but the problem
> with moving the hard drive is probably a different IDE
> controller in the second machine. The fix is to chroot
> /mnt/sysimage and build a new initrd. (man mkinitrd) The only
> problem being that the drive will probably not work in the
> old machine any more. One way around this is to have 2
> different initrd for the same kernel, and have 2 grub entries
> - each using a different initrd.img.

Thanks for the reply, Mikkel.

I tried, but unfortunately I don't know enough to figure it out :-(

I ran chroot /mnt/sysimage. I read 'man mkinitrd', but I cannot work out
what parameters to use. I tried 'mkinitrd -vf', but it just returned to the
prompt silently. I rebooted, but nothing had changed.

I cannot see anything in /boot - it seems that it is not mounted, and I
don't know how to mount it manually. /etc/fstab shows a UUID number.

It is not that important for me to get this working - I don't mind
re-installing from scratch. However, it would be nice to know how to solve
this problem for the future, in case it ever happens with live data
involved. For example, a mother board could fail, but the HDD is intact, so
you just want to move it to a new machine.

BTW, getting it to work off the old machine is not important, so a simple
re-generation of the image is sufficient.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Frank