FC10 does not boot when HDD moved to another machine

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 16:55:07 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Mikkel L. Ellertson <
mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:

> Frank Millman wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the reply, Mikkel.
> >
> > I tried, but unfortunately I don't know enough to figure it out :-(
> >
> > I ran chroot /mnt/sysimage. I read 'man mkinitrd', but I cannot work out
> > what parameters to use. I tried 'mkinitrd -vf', but it just returned to
> the
> > prompt silently. I rebooted, but nothing had changed.
> >
> > I cannot see anything in /boot - it seems that it is not mounted, and I
> > don't know how to mount it manually. /etc/fstab shows a UUID number.
> >
> > It is not that important for me to get this working - I don't mind
> > re-installing from scratch. However, it would be nice to know how to
> solve
> > this problem for the future, in case it ever happens with live data
> > involved. For example, a mother board could fail, but the HDD is intact,
> so
> > you just want to move it to a new machine.
> >
> > BTW, getting it to work off the old machine is not important, so a simple
> > re-generation of the image is sufficient.
> >
> > Any assistance will be appreciated.
> >
> > Frank
> >
> Well, if you were building for kernel 2.6.26.3-14.f8, you would run:
>
> mkinitrd /boot/test.img 2.6.26.3-14.f8
>
> Then you would have something like this in grub.conf (excuse the
> line wrap):
>
> title New Board
>        root (hd0,0)
>        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.26.3-14.fc8 ro
> root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
>        initrd /test.img
> title Fedora (2.6.26.3-14.fc8)
>        root (hd0,0)
>        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.26.3-14.fc8 ro
> root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
>        initrd /initrd-2.6.26.3-14.fc8.img
>
> You your F10 kernel instead of the F8 one listed here. Make sure you
> do it with the new motherboard.
>
> Mikkel
> --
>
>  Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
> for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!

The easiest way, if you have access to the internet, is to use the rescue
disk,
"chtoot /mnt/sysimage" and then install a new kernel via yum (depending on
what you have installed, you may need to remove a kernel before, by using
"rpm -e kernel-.....").

This is how I do in cases like this ....

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ