gnome sound recorder

N. James Bridge james at xmas.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 21:11:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 14:46 -0500, max bianco wrote:

> > The problem has come back, this time spontaneously with no help from
> > Audacity and with the webcam disconnected. I recorded one file
> > successfully, saved it, played back with Totem to check and then tried
> > to make another recording. That one stuttered on playback.
> >
> > Two questions: 1) what is going wrong and 2) how to fix it?
> >
> > Any advice will be much appreciated.
>
> A little more information wouldn't hurt. Which version of Audacity?
> version of sound recorder?
> Have you looked for bugs filed against either program? what sound
> device are you using?
> what is the big picture of the hardware your using? i.e. lspci -v  Are
> there any driver issues?
>
> Just saying it doesn't work doesn't give much to go on, are you up to
> date with patches and such?
> when was the last update? Perhaps its a shared library that is causing
> the issue?
> I haven't gotten around to installing f10 yet but if can answer some
> of these questions then perhaps someone might be able to give you
> something better than a guess. Just a thought.

Fair comment.
Some answers, at least. I'm running F10 with everything up to date.
(FWIW, I couldn't get sound recorder to work at all in F9.) Newish
desktop, sound card integrated (ICH5) - nothing special.
Yes, I have looked for similar bugs but can't find anything useful.
(Some reports of crashes or high CPU usage but nothing like the
stuttering effect.) The Gnome-media site says the sound recorder uses
OSS or ALSA but in F10 it is certainly linked to Pulse Audio, because
the PA volume control has a "recording" tab which shows
gnome-sound-recorder when it is recording.

More details:
gnome-sound-recorder 2.24.0.1
Audacity 1.3.4 (but it wasn't involved in the latest breakdown)

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER
(ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
	Subsystem: Elitegroup Computer Systems Device 1878
	I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
	I/O ports at dc00 [size=64]
	Memory at fa101000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
	Memory at fa102000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH
	Kernel modules: snd-intel8x0