lots o problems after f10 update

David L idht4n at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 22:03:07 UTC 2008

I'm having all kinds of problems after a recent f10 yum update.  My X
is sometimes
garbled, gcc is crashing with internal compiler errors, yum update
isn't working,
evolution crashed, I had X hang a few times, etc.  I would have guessed I had a
hardware problem, but rebooting to my f9 partition works fine.

Here's what yum update is doing:
yum update
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 4, in <module>
    import yum
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 49, in <module>
    import config
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/config.py", line 27, in <module>
    from parser import ConfigPreProcessor
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/parser.py", line 3, in <module>
    import urlgrabber
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/urlgrabber/__init__.py", line
53, in <module>
    from grabber import urlgrab, urlopen, urlread
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/urlgrabber/grabber.py", line
378, in <module>
    import urllib2
EOFError: EOF read where object expected

gcc is crashing like this:

internal compiler error: Illegal instruction
Please submit a full bug report,
See <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla> for instructions.

Any ideas what might be wrong?  A corrupt library??

Thanks...

                 Dave