Fresh install of Fedora 10 on an IBM 9123-710 & having problems with X11

Veli-Pekka Kestilä fedora at guagua.fi
Thu Dec 18 21:01:57 UTC 2008

Morris.Marshael wrote:

> This box does not have a video card and its monitor is a dump terminal
> connected through a hmc.
>
> Can I configure X11 server to run so that my PC can access with exceed?
>
> I have already run the yum update since the install to get the latest
> and greatest.

If your have network configured then it's possible to get the desktop to
show trough x in other machine. It can be tricky and haven't done it for
a while. Usually it's more easy just take ssh connection and run the
invidual apps from the remote machine trough x-forwarding. Also it's not
going to be as fast as native and some latest desktop gimmics probably
won't work.

Here is some info on how to get gnome or other window manager running
over ssh. It seems littlebit old, but could be useful.

http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/XoverSSH/X-over-SSH2.html

Also you may need to make x in linux box to work trough network sockets.
I remember reading earlier on the list that it's disabled in F10 by
default. So if you just need to run some configuration programs best way
is to use x-forwarding trough ssh with exceed.

Greetings,
Veli-Pekka