Lets test the h@!! out of KDE4.2 before it releases...

Chris Snook csnook at redhat.com
Thu Dec 18 21:21:05 UTC 2008

Linuxguy123 wrote:
> Everyone wants a stable, bug free KDE4.2 release, ASAP, right ?  (Its
> scheduled to be released on January 20th.)
>
> Rex has created an F10 KDE4.2 beta iso here:
> http://rdieter.livejournal.com/11344.html
>
> Its very easy to make a bootable USB drive from this image using the
> following command:
>
> livecd-iso-to-disk --reset-mbr --noverify --overlay-size-mb 100
> --home-size-mb 150 --unencrypted-home
> --delete-home /home/xxx/Download/f10-kde-4.1.85-2/livecd-f10-kde-4.1.85-200812161507.iso /dev/sdc1
>
> I have been reporting bugs to the Fedora kde list at
> fedora-kde at lists.fedoraproject.org .
>
> You can subscribe to it here:
>
> We can find bugs in KDE4.2 now or we can find them after its
> released.
>
> Myself, I download the isos when they are released and write it to my
> USB key while I work on something else.
>
> When I have to do some browsing or I have some spare time, I boot the
> USB image and do a bit of testing.
>
> To report bugs, I access gmail with konqueror during the session.
> (Konqueror now works with gmail !)
>
> If we all spent a few hours playing around with KDE 4.2 before it
> releases, it would dramatically increase the amount of real world user
> testing it receives.  I'm sure this would increase its stability when
> its released.

I disagree.  This may work for KDE developers, who do a lot of playing around
with KDE, but I hardly ever find new bugs in something I don't know intimately
just by playing around with it.  When I find new bugs in things without
deliberately poking at its guts, it's invariably in the course of using it normally.

If you want to get a lot of testing for KDE 4.2, get an F10 build into a yum
repo, so I can use it as part of my normal work and play.  Ideally, get it into
rawhide or even updates-testing for broad exposure.  If it's more practical in
the short term to put it in its own repo, then do that, and link us to a
kde-42.repo or a kde-42-release.rpm.  Then we can use it all day, which beats
playing with a liveCD by a long shot.

-- Chris