PackageKit major annoyances

Dan Book grinnz at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 22:10:55 UTC 2008

The argument is that an user who doesn't know the difference between 64bit
and 32bit will be confused and 99.9% of the time will just want 64bit
packages unless someone tells them to get a 32bit one (or there's no 64bit
package available). People like me who need 32bit packages for certain
compatibilities already know how to get them manually.

> > I don't have anything called: "Authorizations" in the
> > System->Administration menu.
>
> my mistake  System->Preference->System->Authorizations
>
> > I don't want nor need that kind of power. (nice to have though) the
> > default policies should just be right in a released "stable" product
> > (fedora 10) if they aren't then it's beta/rc and doesn't belong here,
>
> I don't think your personal preference nor mine gets to define the
> 'right' defaults.  Defaults are a matter of reasoned discussion and
> must balance several factors.  There is an argument to be made that
> the one time importing of a repository key into the rpm keyring is a
> sensitive enough action and infrequent enough to require an
> administrator's authorization as a default policy.
The argument could be made that any time a key is being imported,
authorization had to have been given to install packages in the first place,
probably a few seconds ago.