Fedora 7 date display in ls -al

A Linux Fanatic linuxxpert at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 14:40:23 UTC 2008

> Hello,
>
> I have a Fedora 7 install in which the date displayed by default in an "ls
> -al" command as follows:
>
> -rw------- 1 root     root       6582 *2008-12-19* 04:25 maillog
>
> On other Fedora and RedHat versions, the date is displayed by default as
> follows:
> -rw------- 1 root   root    1105372 *Dec 19* 08:38 maillog
>
> Can anyone please tell me if there is there a way to change the way the
> date in the "ls -al" command is displayed in Fedora 7 so that it is the
> written month and numeric day as is the usual display?

Hi Denise,

If the time of last modification is greater than six months ago, the time
field is shown in the format *month date year* where as files modified
within six months the time field is shown as *month date time* format.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Best regards
Gowrishankar Rajayan | A Linux Fanatic