1-second kernel

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Dec 19 16:10:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 15:47 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> I doubt that you will see a practical five second boot on server or
> workstation commercial hardware any time soon.

Five seconds is probably ambitious, but I still like how my old Amiga
would COLD BOOT in 13 seconds, warm boot was 11 seconds.  That's from
off, to fully working system.

Of course, if I want to add things, like a web server, that will take
longer to start up.  But the system was up and running normally in that
time frame.  No churning of things in the background, nothing disabled
that you'd normally need when using the system.

I think that a quarter minute start up is reasonably practical and
sensible.  Two minutes, or more, to get started is not, it's extremely
inefficient.  Especially for a workstation.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.7-53.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.