OT: Comcast permanent block on port 25

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 17:42:51 UTC 2008

Phil Meyer wrote:

> Comcast, in their infinite wisdom, has begun to block all inbound port
> 25 connections at my location.
>
> I collect several mailing lists at my home domain which I have
> maintained for many years.
>
> Plus, it has always been nice to have an email box that I could run my
> own spam filters on.
>
> Because MicroSoft has created such a huge mess with spambots and the
> like, I have lost another privilege that not long ago was assumed, and
> now falls into a business only category.
>
> I do not blame the consumers who are duped into buying computers with a
> pre-installed OS.
>
> It is so VERY annoying that step by step, we lose individual freedoms
> because of corporate greed and incompetence.
>
> Its somewhat like being in jail for something you did not do.  Or so it
> seems to me.
>
> Sorry for the rant.

Quick-fix:  move the subscriptions to a comcast.net account (you can
probably set up several email accounts associated with your existing
comcast service) or a free gmail account.  Run fetchmail periodically to
pull messages via POP and redeliver on your own server.  Everything else
works the same.  If you use gmail, you can configure their server to
'archive' messages as you download via pop so you can delete copies from
your server as you read them and still be able to use the web interface
to gmail to search for something later.   Or, just set up an imap client
directly with gmail and not bother with your own server.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com