OT: Comcast permanent block on port 25

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Fri Dec 19 20:49:45 UTC 2008

fred smith wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 11:49:05AM -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
>> On Friday 19 December 2008 11:17:10 am Phil Meyer wrote:
>>> Comcast, in their infinite wisdom, has begun to block all inbound port
>>> 25 connections at my location.
>> AFAIK at least in the area i'm in they have always blocked port 25. While it
>> sucks  its certainly common practice amongst ISP's all over the world.
>>
>> Dennis
>
> FWIW, and you may not have this choice, in my area (outside Boston) we
> have choices of carriers (varies from community to community). We can
> choose Comcast, Verizon (FIOS), or RCN.  I have RCN, and they do not
> (yet) block port 25.

RCN does selective blocking of port 25.  They allow port 25 traffic
inbound to your computers, but all outgoing port 25 traffic must be
routed RCN's mail gateway.  Its not a bad price to pay, but it was
inconvenient when they started it.

I'm pretty sure you can get around all of this is you upgrade to a
"business" account.  You may have to pay for it though.

> RCN also offers phone and internet packages, i.e., NO TV for those of us
> who are weird enough to want such a thing. Comcast doesn't even know how
> to talk to you if you don't want TV...

Not entirely true, they offered a 6MB service to my daughter in
Attleborough for $60 a month plus installation (her apartment building
has a choice between Comcast or the owner's satellite package).  Much
more expensive than the Verizon DSL plan at half that price.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net