Comcast permanent block on port 25

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Fri Dec 19 21:32:52 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Comcast permanent block on port 25
From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to>
To: Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
CC: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora."
<fedora-list at redhat.com>
Date: 12/19/2008 02:51 PM

> How is it fair? Business accounts cost more because you get uptime guaranties
> and real support and depending on the type of connection you may be allowed
> to use your maximum bandwidth all of the time. (Though the latter service
> typically is going to cost more than 3x the residential rate.)

Bull. You don't get "real" support unless you're with a dedicated ISP
such as a data centre. Cox, Charter, Time Warner, AT&T, Verizon all give
basic support staff to standard /and/ business customers. I know because
I've been on the phone with them. Have you?

> While blocking these ports may actually be helpful for some people (to limit
> damage when they aren't capable of securing their systems), there really
> isn't a good reason for this for people that don't need that protection.
> There isn't any basis there to charge people several times extra in order
> to not have to check things in their routers. If anything the people that
> need those blocks are the ones that should be getting charged more.

I agree with you there.