How do I activate compiz on kde with F10? (fwd)

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Sat Dec 20 21:30:51 UTC 2008

Passed on as requested.

Thanks Marko.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 14:24:04
From: Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at panet.co.yu>
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Cc: Steven W. Orr <steveo at syslang.net>
Subject: Re: How do I activate compiz on kde with F10?

On Saturday 20 December 2008 05:32, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> I'm interested in trying it but I have no idea how to activate it. It
> looks cool. Where do I start?

Well, you can start by describing your video hardware to us. For compiz to
work, you first need to enable 3D acceleration, which typically means
installing closed-source drivers (for nVidia and ATI case). You have a
working 3D acceleration once the command "glxinfo | grep direct"
returns "yes".

Then you should install all of the compiz-related packages. I have the
following installed on my laptop (use yum to install them all):

compiz
compiz-fusion
compiz-fusion-extras
compiz-fusion-gnome
compiz-gnome
compiz-kde
compiz-manager
compizconfig-python
ccsm
fusion-icon
fusion-icon-qt
emerald
emerald-themes

The final step is to tweak your xorg.conf file in order to configure X for
AIGLX and other stuff needed for compiz. The clear instructions can be found
on compiz-fusion website (sorry, don't remember the link, use google), do
what they say for your type of hardware. If you don't have an xorg.conf file,
create one in /etc/X11/ directory.

After you have checked that you have a working compiz by running it via
command-line as detailed on the website (it goes something
like "compiz --replace blah blah..."), you typically start it not from the
command line but by starting the fusion-icon which takes care of the details.
I have a shortcut for it in ~/.kde/Autostart/, which starts compiz as soon as
I log in.

Depending on your hardware, you might run into all sorts of no-go trouble, so
be prepared to ask about specifics as you go through this. :-)

HTH, :-)
Marko

P.S. Several of my last posts to the fedora-list didn't actually make it
there. If this one also doesn't, could you please forward this to others and
ask someone to help me out? It seems that posts from  vvmarko at panet.co.yu
don't reach the list, and I have no idea why... :-(