Very slow-starting EVDO modem (WORK-AROUND FOUND)

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Dec 20 21:50:36 UTC 2008

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 11:33:19 -0600
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>> I am glad to hear you have it working.
>
> I'm very pleased about that, myself.
>
>> Maybe a HAL rule to eject the SCSI device the Novatel as soon as it
>> is detected? Or a udev rule that does the same thing? Just as a
>> temporary fix? If I remember right, it has different device IDs in
>> drive and modem modes.
>
> That sounds like a great idea, but I haven't a clue how to go about writing
> that.  I did put the eject command into /etc/rc.local so it will work right
> away if the modem is attached when the machine boots, but of course that does
> nothing for me if it's attached afterward.

Well, I am not too good with HAL rules yet, but you could try a udev
rule something like this:

ACTION=="add", ATTR{idVendor}=="1410", ATTR{idProduct}=="5010",
run="/usr/sbin/eject $DEVPATH", OPTIONS="last_rule"

The rule may need some tweaking - I can not remember is $DEVPATH
includes the device name, or only the path...

Mikkel