Text rendering in FX3

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Sun Dec 21 07:06:38 UTC 2008

"David Orman" <ormandj at corenode.com> writes:

> Renders fine for me...
>
> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.4) Gecko/2008111217 Fedora/
> 3.0.4-1.fc10 Firefox/3.0.4

<snip>

> Only plugin in FF is Adblock Plus.
>
> On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 11:11 PM, Marcelo Magno T. Sales <mmtsales at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>     Em Sáb 20 Dez 2008, Marc Schwartz escreveu:
>     > "Marcelo Magno T. Sales" <mmtsales at gmail.com> writes:
>     > > Hi, people
>     > >
>     > > Some sites I visit are displayed with text rendering problems when
>     > > I see them in FX3 on F10. However, FX3 on Windows displays them
>     > > correctly. I've setup fonts in the Linux version exactly the same
>     > > as they are in Windows.
>     > > Most common problems is text being truncated, or text that should
>     > > be displayed in one line being broken in two lines, sometimes with
>     > > the second line being truncated, sometimes with it overwriting
>     > > other text. Besides font configuration, what else may be causing
>     > > this problems?
>     > >
>     > > Thanks,
>     > >
>     > > Marcelo
>     >
>     > I suspect that is has to do with some interaction between Gecko,
>     > Cairo and Pango. There are many posts in various fora discussing both
>     > font rendering and page layout problems with FF under Linux.
>     >
>     > One of my favorite "broken" web sites using FF on Linux is
>     > Computerworld:
>     >
>     >   http://www.computerworld.com/
>     >
>     > The entire navigation column that is supposed to be on the left hand
>     > side of the page is in fact centered, resulting in the primary page
>     > content being pushed down to below the navigation column.
>
>     Funny, this site is displayed perfectly here. However, I've seen others
>     displayed exactly they way you described, but I don't know if they look
>     correctly in FX3 on Windows.
>     Very weird...
>
>     []'s
>     Marcelo

That's interesting. I am using the same FF version (3.0.4) on F10, albeit
32 bit and no matter what I do, I cannot get the page to display
correctly. I have either disabled or uninstalled all add-ins to no
effect.

It's also not clear to me that any other preference settings are
relevant.

It renders fine on my wife's iMac in FF 3 and in Safari, which seems
typical of other comments that I have seen in other fora regarding
rendering on Linux specifically.

Go figure.

Marc