backup of my / filesystem

Kevin Kempter kevin at kevinkempterllc.com
Sun Dec 21 17:23:05 UTC 2008

I'm looking for a clean way to backup my laptop in part so before I apply any
updates I have a clean backup to revert to if needed.

I have a / and /home filesystems in order to backup before I run a set of
updates from yum I suspect I need to backup / separately this way I dont need
to restore my 22Gig of documents in /home if an update breaks something.

In the past I've gone onto single user mode and used dd to backup my HD

I wonder if running tar with the proper flags to ensure the following would be
as effective
1) restrict tar to the current(/) filesystem (i.e. disallow it from going off
into /home)
2) ensure that tat picks up all the dot files

2 questions:
1) is the above tar scenario sufficient to protect me from yum update changes?
2) anyone have suggestions per specific tar commands that will do the
operations specified above?

Thanks in advance