Comcast permanent block on port 25

NiftyFedora Mitch niftyfedora at niftyegg.com
Sun Dec 21 19:57:10 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 10:02 AM, john wendel <jwendel10 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 09:50 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>>
>>> Comcast bundles several accounts with email and space on their servers
>>> for storage and http service along with the connection.  There's not a
>>> lot of reason to run your own server unless you have dynamic content.
>>
>> Or space?  I don't know about Comcast, but it's typical for ISPs to only
>> give users a few megabytes, here (e.g. 10 is common).
>>

> Crapcast "gives" you 1GB of web site storage.

Storage does cost money... but just not as much as
some expect.   If you look at commercial sites they
reference images and lots of other 'content' on services
because doing it all yourself is so hard.

My point is that once I began looking for services I found that
the tide had shifted and it did not make sense to have a
home server anymore (for the most part).    I did some baseline
power measurements and my spare home server added $24 per month to my home
electric bill (7x24x365.25).   That same money bought a lot
of service once I began shopping and let me shift (mostly) to laptop hardware
over time.

--
        NiftyFedora
        T o m   M i t c h e l l