PackageKit has eaten my system (again!)

DB Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 21 20:21:10 UTC 2008

> Message: 7
> Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 22:18:22 -0700
> From: Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com>
> Subject: Re: PackageKit has eaten my system (again!)
>
> On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 22:36:30 +0100
> DB <Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Hi Kevin, thanks for the speedy reply.......  My responses are in-line:
>> > Evening all,
>> >
>> > I just did the latest batch of F9 PackageKit updates - with
>> > disastrous effect!  (See attached list)
>>

> Quite strange. How did you apply those updates?
> PackageKit? yum? With what command?
>
> Is there anything non standard in your /etc/yum.conf ?
> Can you attach it, or the /etc/yum.conf.rpmsave file?

There was a PackageKit "Bug" icon on my Gnome top panel.. I clicked it,
it said "update system now?", I clicked "yes" & the rest, as they say,
is history!

I don't appear to have either of the files you mention!  All that
remains of yum is :

[Dave at localhost pluginconf.d]$ dir
fastestmirror.conf.rpmsave  presto.conf.rpmsave
fedorakmod.conf.rpmsave     refresh-packagekit.conf.rpmsave
kernel-module.conf.rpmsave  remove-with-leaves.conf.rpmsave

Just did a nautilus search on yum & got the following:

/etc/yum
/usr/share/logwatch/scripts/logfiles/yum
/var/cache/yum
/var/lib/yum
/etc/yum.repos.d
/usr/share/doc/yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2
/usr/lib/yum-plugins
/tmp/last-queue.yumex
/usr/share/logwatch/scripts/services/yum
/var/cache/man/cat8/yum.8.bz2
/usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/logfiles/yum.conf
/usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/services/yum.conf
/var/log/yum.log
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum_metadata_parser-1.1.2-py2.5.egg-info

Content of yum.repos.d:
/etc/yum.repos.d/adobe-linux-i386.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/adobe-linux-i386.repo~
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-rawhide.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates-newkey.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates-newkey.repo~
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates-testing.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates-testing-newkey.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/google.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/livna.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-free.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-free-rawhide.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-free-updates.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-free-updates-testing.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-nonfree.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-nonfree-rawhide.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-nonfree-updates.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/skype.repo

I'm a bit mystified by the rawhide & testing repos in that list, as I
have never (knowingly) installed or activated them...

>> > I think (!) RPM is still working but Packagekit & yum amongst (many)
>>

> You can try (if you have a i386 install):
>
> rpm -ivh
> http://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/fedora.redhat.com/fedora/linux/updates/9/i386.newkey//yum-3.2.20-5.fc9.noarch.rpm

[root at localhost ~]# rpm -ivh
http://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/fedora.redhat.com/fedora/linux/updates/9/i386.newkey//yum-3.2.20-5.fc9.noarch.rpm
Retrieving
http://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/fedora.redhat.com/fedora/linux/updates/9/i386.newkey//yum-3.2.20-5.fc9.noarch.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
    pygpgme is needed by yum-3.2.20-5.fc9.noarch
    python-iniparse is needed by yum-3.2.20-5.fc9.noarch
[root at localhost ~]#

Seems like yum is more an "ummmm"!

> And that should hopefully get you yum back.
> Then you should be able to 'yum install' all the other items you are
> missing.
>
> I would sure like to know how and why it removed packages however.
>

>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Dave
>>

> kevin

Many thanks