Fedora User Guide

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun Dec 21 22:21:44 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 12:09:14AM +0000, N. James Bridge wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 17:42 -0500, Matthew Daniels wrote:
> > Fedora User Guide Update
> > ========================
> >
> > The user guide for Fedora 8 has been hidden within the
> > FedoraProject.org wiki for some time now.  It has finally been cleaned
> > up and placed neatly in its own page.  We have also added a User Guide
> > category under which future UGs should be located.
> Well, thank you, but it does appear a bit basic. Most apps come with
> documentation but some things really do need explaining - like sound.
> The Fedora desktop menus provide a volume control for ALSA (and OSS) and
> another one for PA. There is also a Sound Preferences window, the first
> tab of which bears little resemblance to what is described in the help
> file. Some of this stuff one can figure out by trial and error and
> playback seems to work reliably but recording is a different matter.

Thanks for the feedback.  As it happens, we are working on finishing
the Fedora 9 User Guide before the year's end, and there is still time
to add features such as explaining sound controls.

This is a great opportunity for someone who understands this to help
contribute to the User Guide.  You can join us during the holiday
virtual hackfest ...

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project_Holiday_Virtual_Hackfest#Rewrite_User_Guide_to_Fedora_9

... and/or take a chapter to work on directly on your own time ...

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User_Guide_tasks

If you haven't joined the Docs project, just send a self-introduction
and let us know what you want to work on ...

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Join#Signing_Up

Cheers!

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org