KDE 4.1 on Fedora 10

Marcelo Magno T. Sales mmtsales at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 22:49:03 UTC 2008

Anne,

Em Dom 21 Dez 2008, Anne Wilson escreveu:
> On Sunday 21 December 2008 21:52:07 Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > Are you using kdm or gdm?
> >
> > Dunno <scratches head> I've never seen a login like this anywhere
> > else.
> >
> > > In gdm, the session type can only be selected
> > > after filling in the user name, before you confirm the password.
> >
> > That sounds pretty silly to me :-)
> >
> > > If you're running gdm and would like to run kdm instead, you need
> > > to create the file /etc/sysconfig/desktop with the following:
> > > DESKTOP="KDE"
> > > DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
> > >
> > > The first line sets up KDE as the default GUI and the second one
> > > tells X to use kdm as login manager instead of gdm.
> >
> > OK, done all that, and I've still got this silly login.  I've put
> > in the username, and even gone as far as entering the password
> > without the Enter that confirms it.  At no point do I see any
> > option to change sessions.
> >
> > I can send a snapshot if it helps

There's a bar at the bottom of the screen in gdm's login screen. In the
middle there's a combo box to select the session type (after typing the
user name, before entering the password). At least, that's how I
remember it, I've seen  this screen just once when I first booted after
installing F10, then I changed the login manager to kdm.

> Apologies.  Vi tells me that the final " had not registered.  That's
> fixed now and I have yet another new style of login.  I presume this
> is Fedora's themed KDE login.  It certainly has all the components I
> expect to see in a KDE login.
>
> Alain - create the file as described above, then reboot.  I don't
> think it's possible to make this file be read without rebooting.  If
> I'm wrong, someone will tell us.

You need to restart X only. CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE should be enough.

[]'s
Marcelo