Server cannot connect to the outside world

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Dec 22 03:53:35 UTC 2008

Laura Speck writes:

> I've edited the appropriate files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/

Until you are familiar with manual network configurations, it's always
better to run system-config-network.

> ifconfig shows the interfaces having the proper ip addresses. I can
> connect to the machine on the internal ip, from other machines in the
> rack that are on the same range of 192.168.1.xxx addresses. I cannot
> seem to connect to it via the external ip though, even from machines
> that are on that same subnet, in the same rack. When I try to ping
> google's ip address from this machine, I get:
> connect: Network is unreachable

Your default route may not be set up. Run 'route -n' and see what your
routing table is like. /etc/sysconfig/network should have "GATEWAY=[ip]"
giving your external router's IP address.

> Also, I was told by the person who set up the redhat machines, that he
> had to run this command to get everything working on the redhat
> machines:
> # ethtool –s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off
>
> But when I ran this command on the interface I was connected to one of
> the machines on, it totally killed the connection and now I can't
> connect to it at all.. what's that all about?

That the person is not playing with the full deck. A good rule of thumb to
follow is that if you do not have an satisfactory explanation of what the
problem is, and how exactly running the given command will solve the
problem, then the chances of solving the problem by running the command are
rather slim.