midi question

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Dec 22 16:55:37 UTC 2008

Greetings;

I have a
01:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB0400 Audigy2 Value
in this system x86_64 system running in x86_32 mode(F8), and I have these
modules loaded:

 [root at coyote sys]# lsmod |grep midi
snd_seq_midi            7040  0
snd_seq_virmidi         6272  1 snd_emux_synth
snd_seq_midi_emul       6784  1 snd_emux_synth
snd_rawmidi            19968  3 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_emu10k1
snd_seq_midi_event      7040  3 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                47664  9
snd_seq_midi,snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_midi_emul,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device          7308  8
snd_seq_midi,snd_emu10k1_synth,snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd                    48420  20
snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_hda_intel,snd_ac97_codec,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_device,snd_timer,snd_hwdep

And I have a /dev/midi device.  The soundfont is loaded, or at least reports
no error when I reload it.

Kmid is silent although it seems to go through the motions, but its volume
control doesn't seem to be coupled to anything in the kmix display
(kde-3.5.10-fc8)  or vice versa.

Kmid's keyboard display is also motionless while its playing a .mid file.

I was at one point a year or so back, under the impression that I could do
this:

#> cat filenam.mid >/dev/midi

and it would play, but a 3:50 song is accepted silently in about 2 seconds.

I have inspected things in /sys/ and of the 3 audio cards this system
constructs at bootup, card0, the audigy2 above, is the only one with a midi
function according to that device tree in /sys.  It lists several in fact:
[root at coyote sys]# ls class/sound/card0
admmidi  amidi  controlC0  dmmidi  hwC0D0  midi      midiC0D1  midiC0D3
pcmC0D0c  pcmC0D1c  pcmC0D2p  power      uevent
adsp     audio  device     dsp     hwC0D2  midiC0D0  midiC0D2  mixer
pcmC0D0p  pcmC0D2c  pcmC0D3p  subsystem

And the 'dev' entries match:
[root at coyote sys]# cat class/sound/card0/midi/dev
14:2
[root at coyote sys]# ls -l /dev/midi
crw-rw----+ 1 root root 14, 2 2008-12-19 10:19 /dev/midi

So at least these match up.

What can I do to allow .mid files to be played again?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)