weird graphics characters when logged into runlevel 3

Don Raikes DON.RAIKES at oracle.com
Mon Dec 22 16:59:23 UTC 2008

Hello,

When I boot into run level 3 (console mode), I "see" a lot of random graphics characters on my display.

Actually I am blind, and am running brltty which shows "?" characters where there are graphics characters.

My daughter looked at teh screen a few days ago and said there were indeed  single and double virtical lines running through the display making it almost impossible to see anything else on the display.

System configuration:
Gateway desktop with a radeon 9600 video card, dell 9000 monitor
fedora 10 with all updates applied from yum.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW: when I run gnome, and open a terminal window the problem is not present.