Looking for in-box supported, bootable RAID-5 SATA controller for FC9... any recos?

Philip A. Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Mon Dec 22 19:15:42 UTC 2008

I went out and bought a Promise FastTrak TX4650 believing that it was,
indeed, "in-box supported" in FC9.

It's not.  You have to build the drivers for your kernel, and that's
after searching on several blogs for driver updates (the factory drivers
are 2.6.23)

So I'm looking for a PCI (not PCI-X... my motherboard won't physically
fit one) or PCI-e 1x or PCI-e 16x card that supports RAID 5, has in
kernel drivers in FC9, is SATA, and that I can boot off (well, booting
would be nice to have... but not vital).

Either something that is purely hardware RAID, or has partial hardware
acceleration for "md".  (The motherboard, an ASUS M3A78-CM, has a
6-channel SATA controller, but no RAID 5 functionality).

This is for a build server for our Open Source project.

Any recommendations?

Oh, and I have a max budget of about $300 USD.  Yes, I'm a cheap bastard.

Thanks,

-Philip