Looking for in-box supported, bootable RAID-5 SATA controller for FC9... any recos?

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Mon Dec 22 19:41:01 UTC 2008

Philip A. Prindeville wrote:
> I went out and bought a Promise FastTrak TX4650 believing that it was,
> indeed, "in-box supported" in FC9.
>
> It's not.  You have to build the drivers for your kernel, and that's
> after searching on several blogs for driver updates (the factory drivers
> are 2.6.23)
>
> So I'm looking for a PCI (not PCI-X... my motherboard won't physically
> fit one) or PCI-e 1x or PCI-e 16x card that supports RAID 5, has in
> kernel drivers in FC9, is SATA, and that I can boot off (well, booting
> would be nice to have... but not vital).
>
> Either something that is purely hardware RAID, or has partial hardware
> acceleration for "md".  (The motherboard, an ASUS M3A78-CM, has a
> 6-channel SATA controller, but no RAID 5 functionality).
>
> This is for a build server for our Open Source project.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Oh, and I have a max budget of about $300 USD.  Yes, I'm a cheap bastard.

HighPoint Technologies RocketRAID 2300?  PCI-e (x1-, x4-, x8- and
x16-compatible), 4 channels, RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 and JBOD.  Uses the
sata_mv driver and is bootable.  Works for me.
-       Charter Member of the International Sarcasm Society          -
-                "Yeah, like we need YOUR support!"                  -