Sound problems with SELinux ? [SOLVED]

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Dec 23 18:44:55 UTC 2008

William Case wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 15:33 -0500, William Case wrote:
>> Hi Daniel;

>>> Check the /var/log/audit/audit.log file for AVC messages.
>> I couldn't see anything pertinent; but that doesn't mean much.  I have
>> never used the audit.log before.  I could be looking at something and
>> not seeing it.
>>
>>> Is this F10?
>> Yes.  See under my signature.  I keep my program versions there for the
>> main mailing lists I belong to.
>
> Somehow my 'Front' channel?? in Alsa mixer gui got turned off.  By trial
> and error I learnt that if I fully turned on the volume for 'Front' I
> got my sound back.  Why SELinux enforcing also affected it is still
> leaves me at a loss.

SELinux may have played a part.  There may have been an AVC denial from
SELinux when it tried to access the alsa config file to save the
configuration.  Did you check /var/log/audit/audit.log to see if there
were any denials regarding audio?
-  Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a  -
-                              rigged demo.                          -