system restore from a cron backup

Kevin Kempter kevin at kevinkempterllc.com
Tue Dec 23 18:11:07 UTC 2008

Hi All;

I've setup a cron backup script to backup my Fedora 10 laptop - mostly in case
a new yum update breaks my system.

I'm currently excluding /proc but when the rsync script hits the /sys
directory I get lots of read errors like this:

sys/module/vmmon/initstate
rsync: read errors mapping "/sys/module/vmmon/initstate": No data available
(61)
sys/module/vmmon/refcnt
rsync: read errors mapping "/sys/module/vmmon/refcnt": No data available (61)
sys/module/vmmon/srcversion
rsync: read errors mapping "/sys/module/vmmon/srcversion": No data available
(61)

Questions:

- should I exclude /sys from my rsync backup ?
- Is it safe to restore my system without restoring /proc and /sys ?
- If I do need to restore can I simply do an rsync like this:
  rsync -va /backup-location /system-location
(i.e. rsync -va /stage/backup/etc  /etc)

Will rsync overwrite the files say in /etc with the backed up files even if the
current /etc files are newer than the backed up files.

Here's my backup script if it helps:
# cat run_rsync.sh
#!/bin/bash

for I in `cat dirlist`