fedora login window

John Austin ja at jaa.org.uk
Wed Dec 24 12:52:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-24 at 11:34 +0100, Alain Roger wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>
> wrote:
>         John Austin wrote:
>         > I have this in mine
>         > Pretty sure that its not all necessary !!
>         >
>         > tarifa ~ 1001# cat /etc/sysconfig/desktop
>         > DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
>

>         This sets the display manager to KDM.
>
>         > DESKTOP="XFCE"
>
>         This sets the systemwide default desktop to XFCE. (It can be
>         overridden per
>         user.) The original poster probably wants DESKTOP="KDE"
>         instead.
>
>         > WINDOWMANAGER="XFCE"
>         > DISPLAY="KDE"
>
>         I'm not sure either of those 2 are actually used, they're both
>         not necessary
>         in any case.
>
>                Kevin Kofler
>

>         --
>

> in my installation i do not have /etc/sysconfig/desktop :-(
> how is it possible while i can switch from GNOME to KDE environment at
> login window ?
>
> --
Assuming you have KDE installed then the choice between Gnome
and KDE will be in one of the login pull down menus
I haven't got the Gnome Display Manager on any of my machines
and so can't tell you exactly

If you wish to set the login window to KDM then
just create /etc/sysconfig/desktop with gedit or some other editor and
add the single line (with a RETURN char)

DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

John