Security In F/OSS & KDE [Was "Re: is KDE dead - did Gnome win?"]

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Thu Dec 25 07:42:14 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 14:30 -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:
> [...]
> several years of experience with it on 4 different platforms (OpenBSD,
> Fedora, OpenSuse, and FreeBSD) have convinced me that KDE has security
> holes (or bugs) which permit exploits which cause me lots of trouble.

This happens with all software - and is not a trait of KDE alone. This,
I believe, gives Free and Open-source Software ("F/OSS") one of its
major advantages over proprietary alternatives: The entire world, in
theory, has access to peruse through and fix things in the source code -
instead of one company or a subset of people therein. Security issues
are thus found and fixed in a more timely and correct fashion.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42) <peter at thecodergeek.com>
「ゴードン・ピーター」