I'm a newcomer to Fedora 10 Live CD

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at wowway.com
Thu Dec 25 19:49:37 UTC 2008

Pedro Izecksohn wrote:
>> I'm  not familiar with running the live CD
>
>   So you should not answer.
Probably so.

Issuing xdriver=vesa as a kernel parameter on boot should allow the vesa
driver to be loaded when you boot. Though I am not toying around with
the Live CD, the X server should work the same as traditional installs.

The reference for me not being familiar with running the Live CD was a
point, not a statement for me not being familiar with X. I know a bit
about running X on different hardware.

>> You may need to run with the vesa driver.
>
>   A proper xorg.conf was missing. I needed to create one with: X -configure
>   Then I used it with:
> X -config /root/xorg.conf.new
> export DISPLAY=:0.0
> gnome-session

Interesting! I use startx when logged in as regular user after copying
the generated config file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf from /root/xorg.conf.new
after testing X as root.

With a read-only distribution and many possible configurations, a file
for all would not be practical.
Though when it fails to automagically detect the right driver, it should
fall back to running a configuration utility to cover more hardware.

>   and now I'm root inside Firefox.
>
>   Could someone fix the appropriate script?

Running as root while using an Internet browser?

The appropriate script is to run a browser and X as a restricted user.

Jim