F10: new kernel breaks audio (snd-hda-intel)

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Fri Dec 26 20:16:44 UTC 2008

Alfredo Ferrari wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a Dell D830, with F10 fully up-to-date. The kernel update of two
> days ago (2.6.27.9-159.fc10) has broken audio on this machine.
>
> If I reboot on the previous kernel, 2.6.27.7-134.fc10, audio works like
> a charm. With the new kernel everything works with no error message,
> however no sound is output, like the volume is muted or set to very low
> values.
> I have checked all volume sliders, both for pulseaudio and alsa and all
> of them are at maximum and unmuted. I am using the PAE kernel if that
> matters.
>
> The audio driver is snd-hda-intel, and the output of lspci -v reads:
>
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
> Controller (rev 02)
>          Subsystem: Dell Device 01fe
>         Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 21
>         Memory at f6ffc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>         Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
>         Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
> Count=1/1 Enable-
>         Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
>         Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>
>         Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link <?>
>         Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
>         Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
>
> Is anybody else having the same problem?
>
>                             Thanks
>                         Alfredo Ferrari

I didn't have exactly that problem with the 159 kernel.  I was able to play sound but it was slowed down by about 1/3 to
1/2.  I couldn't find a reason, and wasn't sure it was the kernel, but when I, like you, reverted to the 134 kernel
sound began working just fine.  I don't use pulseaudio.

The 159 kernel seemed to work fine other than that.