Catch-22 : NO JOY after all

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sat Dec 27 22:02:24 UTC 2008

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 12:50:01 -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:
	[....]
> Welcome to the GRUB_ Club :)
> That is when you install a new kernel, machine reboots and you are
> greeted with a GRUB__ prompt only that does nothing :(
>
> What you need to do(to make your computer function) is to boot in rescue
> mode and reinstall grub.  That way you get rid of your GRUB_ problem.
>
> This GRUB_ problem has bitten many of us that it is not funny anymore.
> But it happens(we can't complain, it happens to anyone of us, no one is
> exempt), the good thing is that there's a workaround.  Try that and
> report back.

	Hmmm ... What means "reinstall" here? How do you do it??

	I did "cat grub.conf" on the #2 machine, switched to #1, booted
rescue, chrooted /mnt/sysimage, and proceeded to edit grub.conf to clone
#2. That failed.

	It may or may not have to do with the fact that one grub.conf is
full of LMV stuff and one with UUID stuff.

	Is there such a command as "reinstall grub," or do you do it by
commanding "grub" from root and doing God knows what from there, or ...?