installation postgres

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Sun Dec 28 13:39:56 UTC 2008

Am Sonntag, den 28.12.2008, 14:10 +0100 schrieb Alain Roger:
> using the GUI version of add/remove software from F10 under Gnome i
> tried to install postgresql 8.3.5.
> i can see the client and server package are checked in this GUI
> version, but i do not find any folder where it is installed.

Open a terminal window and execute:

rpm --qa  |  grep  postgres

you will get a list of postgresql packages

> basically the postgresql.conf file is located somewhere after
> installation...but in my case is nowhere :-(

With root permission please execute:

   service  postgresql  start

During the first startup all necessary files are created
(in /var/lib/pgsql/data).

You may then check the configuration and modify it according to your
needs.

Execute a service postgresql restart after any modification.

Dont't forget a "chkconfig  postgresql on" (or use the gui in system -A
administration -> services) if you wish to start postgresql
automatically at boot.

> what's wrong ?

nothing at all

> is anything OK in F10 regarding PostgreSQL installation ?

yes

> if i download the bin file from www.postgresql.org page, installation
> works perfectly,

bad idea