Catch-22 : NO JOY

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sun Dec 28 17:22:28 UTC 2008

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 17:57:46 -0600, Seann Clark wrote:
	[....]
> Ok, Grub can be awesome, and it can be the suck. The best way, that
> doesn't take a giant amount of effort, is to read the site first,
> download and burn the iso, and run as you read it.
>
> http://www.supergrubdisk.org/index.php
>
> This has helped me with a lot of Grub related issues, including ones
> that the  IRC room didn't seem to have a handle on (Where the F7 Rescue
> ISO didn't see the LVM and grub set up, F8 saw it, but would toast the
> F7 system) and using that I fixed the Grub issues I got (It wasn't as
> pretty as Grub_ it was no o/s found at all issues, but same ballpark,
> with stage 1 grub loading from what I have read on this).

	Well, I've now moused around that site, reading everything that
seemed even faintly hopeful.

	I regret to say it was worse that I thought. The most I could do
anywhere was to read the words -- without getting the faintest glimmer
what they were about. The writer(s) could hardly take more savvy for
granted -- savvy I don't have and probably will never even approach.

	It happens that I began life as a pure mathematician (BA 1961);
and it was SOP among my contemporaries to skip courses -- you got the
book on the material next in sequence after what you were taking, studied
it on your own, and got the prof's permission to skip a prerequisite by
showing him you already knew the stuff.

	Once I took a good look at a book two or three levels ahead; this
was like that -- a sheer blank wall.

	Seems to me I better try "upgrading" F10 to itself; and if that
doesn't do it, maybe yum will work in rescue ...