To turn Plymouth off?

don fisher hdf3 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 29 18:50:00 UTC 2008

Thanks. When I read the pointer from the release notes:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterStartup

it said that "we are getting rid of RHGB". Thus I had assumed that
removing the rhgb option from grub.conf would not be permanent. I will
do it as you suggested.

don

Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> Em Seg 29 Dez 2008, don fisher escreveu:
>> How can one disable Plymouth? I prefer to see the boot sequence. I
>> recently had a "blue screen of death" for about 10 minutes while my
>> disks were doing a mount limit forced fsck. Beauty is in the eye of
>> the beholder:-)
>>
>> Something also changed between F9 and F10 with upstart. In F9 I was
>> able to comment out the lines in /etc/event.d/prefdm associated with:
>>
>> exec /etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
>>
>> and the system would drop through to a text interface. Now it hangs.
>> What is the best way to avoid using prefdm? I do not mind typing
>> startx.
>
> You can press ESC while the computer is booting or, if you want to
> disable it permanently, edit the line that loads the kernel in
> /boot/grub/grub.conf and remove the option rhgb from it.
>
> []'s
> Marcelo

|    Don Fisher                         hdf3 at comcast.net        |
|    865 W. Cresta Loma Dr.             VOICE: (520)888-7613    |
|    Tucson, AZ. 85704-3705                                     |