best video card for fedora 10

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Dec 30 03:29:22 UTC 2008

Thomas Cameron wrote:
>  From what I typically see on the lists, NVidia cards with the
> proprietary driver typically work well.  That is, if you don't have an
> overwhelming objection to using closed source drivers.

You must not be reading the same lists I do... ;-)

I see no ends of complaints on this list as well as the fedora-test-list and
fedora-devel-list and IRC about all sorts of obscure bugs caused by
proprietary drivers (and nvidia in particular). They are not supported nor
even supportable by anybody other than the manufacturer, who usually does a
horrible job, in particular their installer scripts invariably overwrite
system libraries in a way which will break as soon as the system package is
updated and which also makes uninstalling the driver a hit-or-miss
experience.

Don't buy NVidia! Nor a Radeon HD, those are not supported by the Free (as
in speech) drivers yet either.

        Kevin Kofler