ATI driver installation

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Dec 30 16:09:08 UTC 2008

Vincent Onelli wrote:
> I suspect that I may need an update driver, I checked ATI web side and
> found a file "ati-driver-installer-8-12-x86.x86_64.run" and the
> instruction file "linux_cat812-inst.pdf". I got stuck at the first
> instruction "sh ./fglrx-uninstall.sh" not found
> Any body there can help? I will appreciate very much.

GNU/Linux doesn't work that way, you don't use drivers from the
manufacturer, the correct driver is already included.

You're seeing a bug in the kernel package. That bug has to be fixed. As a
workaround, try booting with the "nomodeset" flag:
1. hold down a key while booting so GRUB shows up
2. press the e key to edit the boot commands
3. press the e key on the first command (the kernel command) to get to the
kernel's arguments
4. append a space and the word nomodeset
5. press Enter to confirm
6. press the b key to boot the modified sequence
if that fixes it, you can edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf file to append
nomodeset to the kernel's command line as a permanent workaround. If it
doesn't fix it, then the bug is not in kernel modesetting (KMS), but some
other area of the kernel (probably DRI/DRM, the Direct Rendering
Interface/Manager).

In any case, please also file a bug at https://bugzilla.redhat.com
against "kernel" with your findings, what you're seeeing is clearly a
kernel bug.

        Kevin Kofler