how to force my laptop external video refresh rate to 50 Hz?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Dec 30 18:07:13 UTC 2008

  for the sake of testing an external video device, i'd like to force
the video refresh rate on my aging WUXGA dell inspiron 9200 to 50 Hz.
i can see from the xorg.conf man page that the Monitor section has a
VertRefresh option, but my current xorg.conf has no Monitor section
whatever -- i'm assuming X is then just faking up a default one.

  is there a quick way to force a lower refresh rate?  specifically,
on the DVI port.  thanks.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.