To turn Plymouth off?

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Tue Dec 30 18:49:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 13:46:54 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 11:28:19 -0700,
>   don fisher <hdf3 at comcast.net> wrote:

>> How can one disable Plymouth? I prefer to see the boot sequence.
	[....]
> You can't turn it off. However you can change things so that you see
> console output during the boot. Remove 'quiet' and 'rhgb' from the
> kernel entries in /boot/grub/grub.conf .
	[....]
>> What is the best way to avoid using prefdm? I do not mind typing
>> startx.
>
> Maybe you want to boot in run level 3? If so you can add '3' to the
> kernel paramters while you are editing grub.conf. It isn't clear what
> you are really trying to do though, so it may be that switching to run
> level 3 is not the correct answer.

	Not to speak for the OP (I'm no mind reader! Would that I
were ...), but I asked a similar question here about F10 Beta on 11/2.07.

	I was advised to "remove rhgb," which I took to mean "yum remove
rhgb," something I'd been doing for many, many releases, usually as the
first thing at completion of an upgrade or install, even before updating;
and it had always just worked.

	F10 translated to "yum remove plymouth" -- which takes mkinitrd
and gdm!

	(I may yet try it, followed immediately by "yum install gdm
mkinitrd" ....)

	I have to say, again, that this business of having to know a
secret magic word (or keystroke) to do something is *not* to my mind a
way to conserve user-friendliness.

	For my own part, I wouldn't be able to make head nor tail of 90%
of the boot messages if you brought them down a mountain to me on stone
stone tablets; but by watching long enough I have discovered several
helpful things.

	Example : if I'm having connection problems for some reason,
success with ntp tells me I do have a connection this time, and failure
tells me I don't.

	Half a dozen such things are more than enough to save ten or
fifteen minutes -- or to prevent losing a train of thought.