ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link not ready

Marland V. Pittman marland at mvpittman.com
Wed Dec 31 13:10:33 UTC 2008

Hello Fedora Users.

I recently did an installation on my workstation, dual, dual-core
opterons on an Asus KFN5-D SLI with two 8800GS cards in SLI. Previous
versions of Fedora have gone okay, with the usual quirks that have to
get worked through, but I'd like some help with this one.

I installed from a Live USB, added the RPMFusion repos, and did a su -c
'yum-install kmod-nvidia'. Rebooted, and got these messages:

ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link not ready
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link not ready

Then, I can't get any further. I'm stuck... bootup stops.

I ran across this thread at the FedoraForum.org forums:

I have two on-board network interfaces, so at least having both eth0 and
eth1 makes sense. I applied a bit of google-fu, and it seem like some
sort of problem with udev not assgning network interfaces the same way
each time it boots, but I don't really understand the problem or
solution. I'm guessing I could get past it by disabling the network
interfaces, but that'd be less than ideal. I've got a couple of network
cards I could stick in to try, but I'd expect them to work, since they
work in other OSes and previous installations of Fedora.

A bit more searching makes me believe it's an IPv6 vs IPv4 problem, but
I don't really understand that either. Maybe the hardware on this
particular workstation won't do IPv6. I'm just using a consumer-grade
Netgear Router, and residential DSL. I tried changing to a ClarkConnect
box, but that didn't work either.

Since I installed from USB, I don't know if I need to pass something on
the anaconda/kernel argument line to install with "noipv6" as listed in
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Options), but I'm less inclined
to figure out how, download and burn DVD media, and then install, just
to update and find the same problem.

Has anyone come up against this, reported a bug, or have a solution that
can help? I'd appreciate it. I'm willing to provide any additional info
necessary.