using fedora and a decent laptop to build an "image generator"?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Dec 31 13:50:54 UTC 2008

  as a more general query encompassing some of the questions i've been
asking lately regarding video, does anyone have any advice on using
f10 and a decently-equipped laptop to create a basic video image
generator?

  at a bare minimum, i need to be able to pump out WUXGA video on an
external port (DVI, HDMI or possibly the newer display port).  beyond
that, in order to test external video equipment, i'd dearly love to be
able to adjust the refresh rate (from 60Hz down, possibly as low as
50Hz, just to see the effect on some hardware).

  in terms of colour correction, i can see that xorg.conf already
gives me the freedom to adjust gamma values in Monitor sections, so
that's useful.  and additional software that lets me examine/adjust
video timings would be most excellent.

  anyway, you get the idea.  has anyone been doing this sort of thing
in aid of video manipulation?  thanks.

rday

p.s.  obviously, if there's a particular distro that is strong in this
area, i'm sure you'd be happy to tell me about it, even if it isn't
fedora.  :-)

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.