OT: Web design applications

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Wed Dec 31 14:53:43 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 31 December 2008 12:26:34 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I thought that a good introduction to using php would be to follow a
> > tutorial.
> > However, it's designed for use with Nvu.  I know that Nvu changed its
> > name some time ago, but can't remember its new name.
>
> It's now called KompoZer (and no, it's not a KDE app, despite the 'K'
> name). Apparently, the original Nvu is no longer developed by Linspire, and
> as they own the trademark, the fork had to be renamed.

All very confusing.  Nvu from http://www.net2.com/nvu/ looks to be exactly
what I need, but it seems that nvu is concentrating on windows and kompozer is
being recommended for linux.  Kompozer as I knew it must be an older version.
Like seamonkey composer it does not handle form insertion, so it's no good for
this purpose.  Turning to that website again, the version linked from there
apparently is quite capable.  However, the rpm supplied is tested against FC7
and Mandriva 2007.  I did try it, on the off-chance, and  it stayed up just
long enough for me to see that the interface is the new one, but it crashes
almost immediately.

They supply a src tarball, but 'built with gcc/g++ 4.0.3 on Linux 2.6.15'.
Being totally inexpert, I edited the mozilla/.mozconfig but running
./configure brings

checking for gcc... gcc-4.3
checking whether the C compiler (gcc-4.3  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables

Am I just inept, or am I trying to do something that's unlikely to work?

Anne