OT: Web design applications

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Dec 31 15:28:25 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-31 at 14:53 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 December 2008 12:26:34 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > I thought that a good introduction to using php would be to follow a
> > > tutorial.
> > > However, it's designed for use with Nvu.  I know that Nvu changed its
> > > name some time ago, but can't remember its new name.
> >
> > It's now called KompoZer (and no, it's not a KDE app, despite the 'K'
> > name). Apparently, the original Nvu is no longer developed by Linspire, and
> > as they own the trademark, the fork had to be renamed.
> >
> All very confusing.  Nvu from http://www.net2.com/nvu/ looks to be exactly
> what I need, but it seems that nvu is concentrating on windows and kompozer is
> being recommended for linux.  Kompozer as I knew it must be an older version.
> Like seamonkey composer it does not handle form insertion, so it's no good for
> this purpose.  Turning to that website again, the version linked from there
> apparently is quite capable.  However, the rpm supplied is tested against FC7
> and Mandriva 2007.  I did try it, on the off-chance, and  it stayed up just
> long enough for me to see that the interface is the new one, but it crashes
> almost immediately.
>
> They supply a src tarball, but 'built with gcc/g++ 4.0.3 on Linux 2.6.15'.
> Being totally inexpert, I edited the mozilla/.mozconfig but running
> ./configure brings
>
> checking for gcc... gcc-4.3
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc-4.3  ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
> create executables
>
> Am I just inept, or am I trying to do something that's unlikely to work?
----
I am pretty much a quanta person (kdewebdev package) and my second
choice for pure html editing is bluefish. The last time I used nvu, it
was OK but nothing to jump through hoops over.

for building packages, you are going to need at least...

yum install gcc-c++ gcc autoconf
# should bring in other requisite libraries

and depending upon the library needs for the package you are building,
probably gtk2-devel and others

personally, I would just recommend you install/use kdewebdev (Quanta) or
Bluefish

Craig