I'm a newcomer to Fedora 10 Live CD

Marland V. Pittman marland at mvpittman.com
Wed Dec 31 18:36:53 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-30 at 20:38 -0500, Pedro Izecksohn wrote:
> --- Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at wowway.com> wrote:
> >
> > Issuing xdriver=vesa as a kernel parameter on boot should allow the vesa
> > driver to be loaded when you boot. Though I am not toying around with the
> > Live CD, the X server should work the same as traditional installs.
>
> cat /proc/cmdline
> initrd=initrd0.img root=CDLABEL=F10-x86_64-Live rootfstype=iso9660 ro
> liveimg xdriver=vesa BOOT_IMAGE=vmlinuz0
>
>   It did not work.

This one time, back in like Fedora 7, I had a pair of nvidia 6600 cards
that didn't work with the nv driver (they had more memory than whatever
was "standard", and I was using the Live CD.

So, when booting the live CD, I actually had to append "3" to the kernel
line as an argument (to start in runlevel 3), log in as root (with
password, since I was on the live CD) and then edit
the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to change the "nv" driver to "vesa". Then I
ran "startx" (as root, because I lived dangerously back then) and did my
install.

I don't have that setup anymore, and Fedora is a newer version, but
maybe that will help, or convince someone that an easier way should be
available for getting alternatives to work other than passing arguments.