Linux apps to convert music files to MP3

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 31 22:26:31 UTC 2008

Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Does Linux have any Appa for converting music files to MP3 to play on Ipods.
>>

> You'll need to install a 3rd party repo like rpmfusion[1] and install
> lame. Personally I installed RockBox[2] on my Ipod 4G and use ogg
> audio files instead.
>
> Richard
>
> [1] http://rpmfusion.org/
> [2] http://www.rockbox.org/

I picked this up off the internet about Lame;

/Lame/

In the great history of GNU naming, LAME stands for LAME Ain't an Mp3
Encoder. LAME is not an mp3 encoder. It is a GPL'd patch against the
dist10 ISO demonstration source. LAME is totally incapable of producing
an mp3 stream. It is incapable of even being compiled by itself. You
need the ISO source for this software to work. The ISO demonstration
source is also freely available, but any commercial use (including
distributing free encoders) may require a license agreement from FhG
(Fraunhofer Gesellschaft, Germany).