mysqld won't start

Saurabh Bathe sbathe at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 06:16:50 UTC 2008

Dave Stevens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have mysql installed in my F7 x86-64 system. When I try to use the System |
> Administration | Server Settings and highlight mysqld and click on start I
> get a delay and

<snip>
> 080131 16:25:56  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 43655
> 080131 16:25:56 [ERROR] Fatal error: Can't open and lock privilege tables:
> Table
>  'mysql.host' doesn't exist

This means that mysql cannot find privilege information.
Might be caused due to corrupt mysql databases or worst case, someone
deleted/dropped the database "mysql" (the directory /var/lib/mysql/mysql).

One way would be to backup the current mysql databse, if it exists (use
mysqldump). Then run the script /usr/bin/mysql_install_db. This will
create a default privilege table.

One more thing that can be done is to try and run myisamcheck on all the
files in /var/lib/mysql/mysql/*MYD files and see what it says. If there
is no tables_priv.MYD then depending on how customized this server was,
you could be in serious trouble. You will have to try the above
procedure and then grant the necessary privileges that are not currently
in the table.

--Saurabh